Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness. - Earl of Derby

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lab B



      When I first learned that Lab B was a Jump roping unit, I became really nervous. I was given two skills, the Side Straddle and the Forward Straddle. Once we had time to practice I became more and more comfortable with my lesson on the Side Straddle, so that was the one that I decided use and teach for my lesson. Although Prof. Yang didn't make it us mandatory for Lab B to have a visual aid or write out our lesson plan, I had done it anyways.




     After I ended up forgetting my poster that I had made at home, which made me frustrated- I began to focus on how I could make sure my classmates remembered my lesson and the cues along with everything I had said in my lesson. I believe I did a great job at changing the level of my voice compared to my first lesson. Although at some points in my video you can't understand what I am saying, my voice was very clear, firm and projected well. Overall, I think I did a great job. I was really nervous, but because I had planned out what I wanted to say, and practiced it over and over again, the nervousness disappeared and it doesn't show in the video.

     Although I did a lot less nervous actions in this video, I still need to work on what my hands are doing. In my first video I continued to clap every few words as I was speaking. Watching the video I realized this was very annoying, and distracts the student from learning my lesson. I didn't clap in Lab B, but I did swing my whistle. Although it wasn't nearly as bad as Lab A, I still need to work on these nervous habits.

After filling out the time coding work sheet, I realized I spent a lot of time instructing and explaining. Although the paper said I spent to much time on instruction and not enough time on the actual activity, I believe that every minute I was instructing was needed. If I had more time to teach this lesson, I definitely would've had the students practice more, but I feel as though with the time given I did well.

This was a great step in becoming a great teacher! It was my first video that I felt positive about my overall lesson. When I saw the Checklist for Lab B containing positive feedback, it made me really confident about my teaching. I have to make sure I say the safety statement and what I expect from the students by the end of the lesson. Using Hopscotch as my hook worked out really well because everyone knows what Hopscotch is. When I asked for someone to volunteer, Sarah stepped up and demonstrated it very well. I love using the whistle to get the students attention because it's easy to make it loud and catches the attention of the students. Everyone in every lesson needs a hook, their voice or whistle to signal for the lesson, and to check for understanding throughout all of their lessons. I believe if I keep doing these things, and improving like I did from Lab A to Lab B, then I'm on my way to being the best teacher I can be!!!

1 comment: